19 Sept 2009

Over Exposed (dir. Ashley Jones & Melinda McDougall)


This is a series of four 3 Minute Wonders I was asked to edit by the film production company Green Lions. Ash and Mel had conducted a number of interviews with people involved in the strip industry. They only managed to get one interview with a punter though. I guess a lot of guys who go, even though they can justify it to themselves/friends etc. when it comes down to it, going to strip clubs it's still a bit of a dirty-little-secret. Each film was from the perspective of: Strip Club Owner, Punter, Protester and Dancer. The best and easiest for me to edit was the dancer. I had a great audio interview to work with and fantastic images (filmed by Jack Barnes). It was like creaming butter and sugar together. The hardest one was the protester as I didn't like a lot of what he said, that sort of politics which is all about not-in-my-backyard and to-hell-with-everyone-else. I think the films are beautiful. It was the first time Jack had done any filming as he's a photographer. He was using the Canon D5 which is a stills camera but shoots video. I think the nature of the camera and because it was shot by a photographer, gave the films a very particular look and style. The shots are very static, people move through the frame rather than the camera following and there's a lovely depth to the images. I think the films are informative and respectful to all involved and was happy to be working with people who are not out to exploit or sensationalise this topic and the people involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment