24 Jan 2009

Awsome, I...Shot That! (dir. Nathaniel Hornblower)


At a concert at Madison Square Garden, the Beastie Boys handed out 50 High8 cameras to audience members to film the live concert. It sounded quite a crazy thing to do but actually it was pretty well organised. The chosen audience members were all given matching green tracksuits and an upbeat debriefing. There were some professional cameras filming the concert too so they weren't completely reliant on their fans and their jerky camera work. I wanted to watch this because I was interested to see how the concept worked, not because I'm heavily into the Beatie Boys. The image quality was very poor but it was very well edited and I guess with more than fifty shots to chose from, the editor was bound to find usable material. It did give a sense of being with the audience but not being so into the music, it became rather boring as it was visually quite limited. There was a whole lot of different camera angles, sharply cut to the beat but as there was not much theatrics or onstage visuals, after a while a bunch of guys jumping around with occasional shots of the crowd with their hands in the air just wasn't enough to hold my attention for the whole film.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this at SXSW and hated it ... even though the Beastie Boys were in the audience causing a near hysterical Q&A!

    ReplyDelete